Macurdie’s Barn of Laughs Exhibition – Isle of Skye

May 6th, 2012 § 10 comments

I was in Skye this weekend to give a talk about Forest Pitch for Atlas Arts in Portree. It was a lovely weekend. I took the time to visit “Macurdie’s Barn of Laughs Exhibition”. The last time I was in Skye, we drove past this sign, and I wanted to go visit – but we were on our way elsewhere so we didn’t. However, I certainly am glad I made it back this time….

Tagged ,

§ 10 Responses to Macurdie’s Barn of Laughs Exhibition – Isle of Skye"

• Kate says:

This looks great, I will definitely visit!

• craig says:

well worth a pound!

• Hans Peter says:

Hi Craigh!
    Your images of Macurdies barn looks great. Thanks for sharing! I was there myself this summer and it was one of the highlights of my trip. Did you get the chance to meet him at all? I spoke to a guy who sat outside the barn and had put up a tent on Macurdie’s land. He said that Macurdies still was alive and that Macurdie had made the exhibition about himself… I find this very intriguing! Unfortunately I didn’t meet him. I would like to get in contact with him so thought maybe you would know how?
    Thanks man!

• Joyce Low says:

Fantastic, we visited in 2010 whilst on a bike tour of Skye. Sides were sore laughing. Wouldn’t miss it in future. Absolutely worth a visit.

• Ann Moffat says:

Enlightening. Wonderful. Exciting. Fascinating. Invigorating. saw this exhibition in 2008 and 2010 (when I saw a mouse scooting about the place and wondered if it was actually an exhibit, escaped), Loved it and felt this was the best exhibition I had ever seen…
    except for the dead cow with it’s hoofs in the air as we left Camus na ha, which i did think was trying to upstage some of McUrdie’s exhibits to be honest.

• Andy says:

Fascinating Craig … never seen this before but will surely look out for it our next visit. Thanks.

• Loved this place! Photo’s show it’s a bit more organised since I was there about 20 years ago! I still laugh at the wit! Thank you McCurdy

• Loved this place- still think about it after 20 odd years.

• Adam says:

We saw the sign in passing — and one of our party was named McCurdy, so how could we pass up this mysterious “exhibition”? In the end it was one of our fondest memories of the entire trip.